1. State and define important terms and concepts in educating students with education disabilities.
2. Describe some teaching practices for improving the learning, behavior, and other functioning of students with disabilities.
3. State and describe each of the categories of “individuals with disabilities” from a U.S. federal perspective and “children with disabilities” from the NC perspective.
4. State important controversies and problems in special education.
5. Describe multicultural issues as they relate to educating students with disabilities.
6. State and explain foundations of special education in terms of legal and political events, and knowledge from psychology, medicine, and other disciplines.
7. State, explain, and defend a philosophy for educating students with disabilities.
8. Describe educational, psychological, and other key characteristics common in each category of disability.