|Topic||Time Devoted to Each Topic||Activity|
|Class 1 Introductions, course overview||1.67||• Complete Google form|
• Bring laptop, iPad, or smartphone to class or check out one from dept.
|Class 2 Evaluation teams, brainstorming, & literature search practice||1.67||• Due Sunday 8/30 (Google form): responses to questions about videos & reading|
• Discuss potential evaluation topics with your field instructor and/or another agency contact.
• Due Sunday 8/30 (Google form): responses to field agency questions. Bring printed copy to class, or have access to electronic version.
|Class 3 Writing and reading about research & evaluation||1.67||• Discuss the evaluation project with your agency contact to understand/prioritize/finalize the agency’s evaluation needs. Prepare agency approval letter.|
• Extend your literature search to include outcomes of interventions designed to address your problem of interest.
• Due Sunday 9/13 (Google form): responses to questions about readings
• 50-minute team appointments Sept. 14-15. Be prepared to share and discuss your problem of interest, search strategy (databases, search terms), reference list, synthesis matrix or notes, and current draft.
|Class 4 Effective evaluation approaches & mid-semester course evaluation||1.67||• Due Sunday 9/20 (Moodle): Agency approval letter.|
• Due Sunday 9/20 (Moodle): Introduction to evaluation plan (1-2 pp.).
|Class 5 Logic models I||1.67||• Ask questions at your agency to help you understand the theory underlying the intervention you’re studying. Come to class prepared to create a logic model describing your agency’s intervention.|
|Class 6 Study design, sampling, & measurement Logic models II||1.67||• Due Sunday 10/4 (Moodle): Literature review.|
|Class 7 Measurement Methods feedback||1.67||• Due Sunday 10/11: Agency context, logic model, and evaluation purpose.|
|Class 8 Ethics & IRB procedures||1.67||• Discuss with your agency contact your IRB protocol, your project timeline, and how your evaluation will fit with your field hours. Incorporate any necessary protections into your draft IRB protocol.|
• Due Friday 10/16: Documentation of CITI training for the social and behavioral sciences: http://www.citiprogram.org/
• Due Friday 10/16: Post to the CITI forum (on Moodle) at least one comment on an issue related to the protection of human subjects that is relevant to research or evaluation with your client population.
• Due Sunday 10/18: Post responses to at least two other students’ comments on the CITI forum. Responses should demonstrate reflection on the issues raised (e.g., respectfully expanding the ideas, relating them to ethical guidelines for research, or presenting alternative views).
• Due Sunday 10/18: Submit a draft IRB protocol using the online form
• Due Sunday 10/18 (Google form): Submit, and bring to class, a list of questions that you need answered in order to complete the protocol
|Class 9 Qualitative methods & instrument development||1.67||• Due Sunday 10/25: Revise and re-submit your IRB protocol using the online form provided. |
• Due Sunday 10/25: Prepare and post to Moodle forum “Appreciative Inquiry” one open-ended appreciative inquiry question related to your evaluation project.
|Class 10 Logistics & methods refinement||1.67||• Due Sunday 11/1 (Moodle): Human Subjects Protection Plan (a thorough, concise, 2-3 paragraph summary of your IRB protocol).|
• Bring your draft Methods section (design, sample, measures) and any instruments to class.
• Bring your survey instrument or interview/focus group guide to class if applicable.
|Class 11 Intro, lit review, & HSPP – work team review||1.67||• Due Monday 11/9 (Moodle): Methods section.|
|Class 12 Evaluation plan – work team review||1.67||• Bring to class a draft of your complete evaluation plan for review and revision.|
|Class 13 Evaluation plan – work team review Prepare presentations||1.67||• Bring to class a draft of your complete evaluation plan for review and revision.|
|Class 14 Student presentations||1.67||• Due Sunday 11/29 (Google form submitted by agency contacts): Detailed agency approval form.|
|Class 15||1.67||• Due Sunday 12/5: Full evaluation plan.|