Breadcrumb Navigation:


Transfer and Exam Credit

Credit by Examination

Undergraduate students currently registered at NC State may request an examination for course credit in a course whether enrolled in that course or not, under the conditions described below. Students must initiate a request with their advisor (except when a teaching department awards credit based upon group testing for placement purposes). Should the advisor approve, the student must arrange for the examination with the department offering the course. The department may administer the examination in any manner pertinent to the materials of the course. Departments are encouraged to offer credit by examination in all courses but have the prerogative of excluding certain courses, which are demonstrably unsuited for credit by examination.

The academic standards for credit by examination will be commensurate with the academic standards for the course. If a student’s performance on the examination is judged to be of “C-” or higher quality, the department will notify the Department of Registration and Records on a Grade Change Report that the student has received Credit by Examination for the course. The Department of Registration and Records will enter the appropriate number of credit hours on the student’s permanent academic record. Credits earned through Credit by Examination are not used in the computation of a student’s grade point average.

The Department of Registration and Records will post course credit by examination to a student’s permanent academic record only if that student is currently registered at NC State. However, if the course credit by examination would enable a student to complete the requirements for a degree, that student would not have to be registered in order to receive the credit.

If a student fails to achieve “C-” or higher quality work on an attempted credit by examination, no action is required other than the department’s notifying the student. However, that student is not eligible for another such examination in the same course.

Once a student has failed a course or has completed credit or audit for more than fifty percent of a course, the student may not attempt credit by examination for that course. Under unusual circumstances, exceptions may be made upon the written recommendation of the student’s advisor and the approval of the department offering the course. A student who receives credit by examination in a course in which that student is currently enrolled must officially drop that course no later than mid-semester.

Credit by Examination Through Independent Studies

Persons who are not currently enrolled on campus and who have gained through study or experience, knowledge of the content of undergraduate credit courses offered through Independent Studies may (with the approval of the Independent Studies staff and the academic department offering a course) receive credit for that course by special examination. Students may request approval to attempt credit by examination by completing and submitting a form available from Independent Studies.

The University of North Carolina
Box 1020
The Friday Center
Chapel Hill, North Carolina 27599-1020
(919) 962-1104

Currently enrolled students are not eligible for credit by examination through Independent Studies. These students should go directly to the appropriate academic department to request credit by examination under the regular procedures in effect on campus.

Transfer Credit

Transcripts of college course credit for new transfer students and for NC State students who have taken course work at another institution are evaluated by the Office of Undergraduate Admissions in consultation with the deans of the NC State colleges to determine how the work applies to fulfilling the graduation requirements of each student’s intended major. Only courses where the student receives a grade of C or better will be considered for transfer credit. Students admitted to an NC State undergraduate degree program who wish to take courses at another institution must obtain prior endorsement from their academic department and prior written approval from their college’s associate dean (or dean’s office) in order to insure that the transfer credits will apply toward specific graduation requirements. Transfer credit is not recorded on former students’ permanent records until after they have been readmitted and have re-enrolled at NC State. Do not assume that transfer courses will be accepted. Speak to your advisor.

Credit accepted for transfer from another institution is shown only as credit hours and is not included in the computation of the grade point average. You can see a list of courses and how they transfer to NC State from other institutions on the Undergraduate Admissions website. Please note this website speaks only to the general transferability of the course work. How transfer credit applies to a student’s degree is determined by his/her academic department and college associate dean’s office.  Also, speak to your advisor about transfer credits.

For the most current information regarding this regulation, please view the full regulation