Alice S. Warren, Vice Provost for Continuing Education
As a key component of Extension, Engagement, and Economic Development, the McKimmon Center for Extension and Continuing Education (MCE&CE) facilitates and enhances access to the academic resources of the campus by a wide range of audiences. Units within MCE&CE provide professional expertise in the identification of educational needs and the development of relevant programming in collaboration with the faculty, departments, colleges and external constituents; in the management and implementation of noncredit offerings; in the operation of a full-services, state-of-the-art conference facility; in the delivery of technical assistance and applied research; and in the evaluation and outcome assessment of programs and services delivered.
Specifically, the McKimmon Center for Extension and Continuing Education
- develops and delivers noncredit continuing education programs to meet the professional development or training needs of business/industry, governmental agencies and nonprofit organizations and communities
- offers customized programs for diverse clients
- stimulates interest in the development and delivery of relevant noncredit distance education offerings
- identifies opportunities for joint initiatives and assists in measuring learning outcomes and impacts
- provides a wide array of software-specific and certification courses for individuals and organizations
- operates the McKimmon Conference and Training Center which is a large, flexible facility that hosts educational meetings for groups ranging in size from 5 to 1,200
- provides opportunities for lifelong enrichment for people over the age of 50 through a robust learning-in-retirement program
- conducts program evaluation and outcomes research, survey research, technology application and customized consulting services for federal/state/local governmental agencies and nonprofit organizations
- performs a key role in the public schools statewide testing and accountability program,serves as the campus provider of Continuing Education Units (CEUs) that are earned through participation in approved noncredit courses
- coordinates and manages the annual Connecting-in-North Carolina (CINC) tour for faculty and key administrators to enhance the three-fold mission of our land-grant institution
- affords opportunities for students in collaboration with the University Honors Program and Service Learning Program
Greg Emma, Assistant Director
The McKimmon Conference and Training Center provides meeting facilities, audiovisual equipment and support services for adult education programs. Administrative services are available to organizations that need assistance in planning and implementing conferences, short courses and other educational activities. Catering coordination is also available in the planning and successful implementation of banquets and related functions. The center accommodates small meeting groups as well as large national and international conferences. There are 18 meeting rooms that can be arranged in several different styles. These styles include, but are not limited to: classroom, theater, round tables and conference-style. Rooms range in size and can accommodate groups of 36 to 1200. Ceiling-mounted projectors, drop-down screens and wireless internet are available in all rooms. Live streaming and videoconferencing are available to help you reach a bigger audience, or archive the recorded class online for students to review.
Technology Training Solutions
Since 1989, NC State University's Technology Training Solutions (formerly the Computer Training Unit) has been a leading provider for the technology training needs of the Triangle. Technology Training Solutions (TTS) operates out of the McKimmon Center, utilizing four dedicated, state-of-the-art labs and instructors that are experts in their field. New classes are introduced three times per year, allowing adult learners in North Carolina to be amply prepared for future technology needs.
Whether an individual is looking for a single class to become familiarized with software or is committed to multiple weeks of certification training, TTS can address all technology training needs. TTS also provides customized corporate training both at the McKimmon Center and at client sites.
Visit NC State University's Technology Training Solutions website today for a complete course schedule and certification information. TTS also has a social media presence and can be followed on FaceBook, Twitter, Pinterest, LinkedIn, and Google+
Office of Professional Development
NC State University's Office of Professional Development (OPD) is a unit of the office of Continuing and Professional Education. Dedicated to the development and delivery of non-degree professional training courses, OPD provides you with a broad range of quality educational opportunities in a flexible, comfortable, and affordable learning environment.
OPD offers a variety of experiences, including conferences, seminars, and in-house/on-site training, to assist you in your professional development and your work. Most courses can be brought to your workplace or other location of your choosing, including dedicated training for your organization here at the McKimmon Center on NC State's campus. Courses can be customized so you and your employees receive training tailored to your specific needs.
OPD can help you manage your next educational event with conference management services, including
- Expert planning that saves time
- Integrated marketing services that cost less and get results
- Registration management of the utmost accuracy
- Financial management that keeps you in control, yet manages your money with greatest accountability
- Complete program staffing that lets you focus on the big picture
- OPD's services are a la carte; you only pay for what we do. It's less expensive for you to hire OPD as needed than hire a full-time employee.
- Hiring OPD enables you to offer more programs. While you're focusing on content, we're taking care of the details.
- OPD can manage your event regardless of its location.
- OPD has helped clients to generate millions in revenue over the years.
- We can produce and mail conference brochures and postcards for some of the lowest prices available.
- OPD's clients and partners benefit from our annual print bids, which in turn, keep your costs down.
- You will benefit from the expertise of Certified Program Planners.