Design Studies (Minor)
No New Admissions
To see more about what you will learn in this program, visit the Learning Outcomes website!
The College of Design offers an undergraduate minor in Design Studies, available to university students in majors other than design. Academic Majors who will benefit from this minor: Any undergraduate student in the university who is not majoring in a design discipline.
- To provide a general orientation to the practice and theory of design for students whose primary study and employment will be in other disciplines
- To clarify the role design plays in society
- To create informed consumers who are able to make intelligent decisions about communication, products, and environments in work and in their personal lives
Any student seeking this minor should contact Dr. Chandra Cox, for a registration form.
The minor must be completed no later than the semester in which the student expects to graduate from his or her degree program. Students may turn in either their original Design Minor Certification, or complete a new one for signatures. This should be turned in no later than during the registration period for the student’s final semester at NC State.
SIS Code: 12DSM
- The minor in Design Studies consists of 15 credit hours of study1 selected from the following courses.
- A grade of ‘C’ or better in all courses credited to the minor
College of Design majors will receive enrollment priority in scheduling these classes
|Select five Elective Courses||15|
|Structures and Materials|
|History of World Architecture|
|History of Western Architecture|
|Color and Light|
|Design History for Engineers and Scientists|
|Contemporary Manufacturing Processes I|
|Introduction to Environment and Behavior for Designers|
|History of Landscape Architecture|
Note: Other courses offered by the College of Design may be substituted with permission of the Minor Advisor.