Film Studies (Minor)
To see more about what you will learn in this program, visit the Learning Outcomes website!
The Departments of English, Communication, Foreign Languages and Literatures, and the Programs in Interdisciplinary Studies offer a minor in Film Studies open to students across the university. The minor provides a comprehensive introduction to the art and industry of the cinema through courses in film analysis, history, theory, criticism, screen writing, and production. No courses for the minor may be taken for S/U credit.
Students may declare their intention to complete the Film Studies minor by consulting with Dr. Marsha Gordon as listed below.
Dr. Marsha Gordon will certify the minor prior to graduation. The minor must be completed no later than the semester in which the student expects to graduate from his or her degree program. Paperwork for certification should be completed no later than during the registration period for the student’s final semester at NC State.
SIS code: 16FSM
- Complete 15 credit hours at the 200 level or above.
- No more than 6 transfer hours may be credited toward the minor.
- Must maintain a ‘C’ average (2.0) in the minor and earn a grade of ‘C-‘ or better in all courses used toward the minor.
- This minor is not open to students in the Film Concentration of the B.A. in English (16ENGLBA 16ENGLFLM) nor the students in the Film Studies Concentration of the B.A. in Arts Studies (16ARTSTBA 16ARTSTFLM).
- A maximum of two (2) courses may be used (double-counted) towards both departmental major requirements and minor requirements.
|ENG 282||Introduction to Film||3|
|Select one of the following:||3|
|History of Film to 1940|
|History of Film From 1940|
|Select three of the following:||9|
|Writing About Film|
|History of Film to 1940 1|
|History of Film From 1940 1|
|African American Cinema|
|Women & Film|
|Film and Literature|
|Introduction to Film Theory|
|Special Topics in Film Styles and Genres|
|Topics in Film and Interdisciplinary Studies (formerly MDS 496)|
|The Heritage of French Cinema 2|
or FLG 318
|New German Cinema and Beyond|
whichever is not taken to fulfill requirement I
Note: Only one FL course may count towards the Film Studies minor