To see more about what you will learn in this program, visit the Learning Outcomes website!
The objective of the minor in a foreign language is to enable students majoring in any field to acquire proficiency in a second language, understanding the culture, and knowledge of the countries in which the language is spoken.
Information about adding a minor is available on the Student Services Center website.
Information about adding a minor is available on the Student Services Center website. Certification should be completed no later than during the registration period for the student’s final semester at NC State. Students should meet with the Coordinator of Advising, Ms. Susan Navey-Davis (919.515.9288, https://fll.chass.ncsu.edu/people/faculty_staff/navey, 321 Withers), to complete the final certification. Students will receive official recognition on their transcripts for the completed minor.
Dr. Lutz Kube
- Completion of 15 credit hours is required.
- 9 Credit hours must be taken at NC State and a maximum of six (6) credit hours may be transferred into the minor from another institution.
- The Department of Foreign Languages and Literatures will determine which courses transferred from other institutions may qualify in meeting requirements for the minor, as well as the number of transfer credits permitted to meet program requirements.
- It is required that students complete at least three (3) courses either at NC State or at an NC State sponsored study-abroad program.
- A grade of ‘C-‘ or better is required in all courses in the minor program.
- A maximum of one (1) course may be used (double-counted) towards both departmental major requirements and minor requirements.
- No courses for the minor may be taken for S/U credit.
Students may declare the minor when they are enrolled in a class that counts toward the minor.
|Select one of the following:||3|
|Intermediate German I|
FLG 3XX/4XX 1
|FLG 202||Intermediate German II||3|
|or FLG 212||German Language, Culture, Science, and Technology|
|Select three of the following:||9|
|The Arts of Vienna 1900|
|Advanced German 2|
|German Oral and Written Expression 2|
|Business German 2|
|Introduction to German Translation 2|
|Germanic Civilization and Culture|
|New German Cinema and Beyond|
|Introduction to German Literature|
|Twentieth Century German Literature|
|German Lyric Poetry|
|German Studies Topics|
|Independent Study in German|
|Current Issues in German-Language Media|
|Cultural Artifacts in the German-Speaking Countries|
|Green Germany: Nature and Environment in German Speaking Cultures|
|Senior Seminar in German Studies|
|Internship in Germany, Austria, or German-Speaking Switzerland|
If placing at the FLG 300 level through the NC State Placement Exam, you will need to take an additional course at the 300 or 400 level in order to assemble the 15 credits for the minor.
No more than two (2) courses may be selected from the language skill courses FLG 301 Advanced German, FLG 302 German Oral and Written Expression, FLG 307 Business German, FLG 311 Introduction to German Translation.