To see more about what you will learn in this program, visit the Learning Outcomes website!
Students majoring in any area of study at NC State are eligible to minor in Hindi-Urdu. The minor in Hindi-Urdu provides students with an understanding of South Asian language, culture, history, and religious traditions, and gives students a foundation from which to explore the relation between the nations of South Asia and others throughout the world. Students who intend to work overseas or in multicultural settings and firms within the United States will find this minor very useful.
To be admitted to the program, a student must have a GPA of at least 2.0. Application for admission to any University minor program is now available via MyPack Portal. Admission will be based upon the student’s academic record, and in most cases no longer requires departmental review. To apply to Add a Minor, go to: https://go.ncsu.edu/minor_coda.
A University Minor Declaration Form should be submitted to Registration and Records for inclusion of the minor on the student’s official record. Paperwork for certification should be completed no later than during the registration period for the student’s final semester at NC State. Students should meet with the Coordinator of Advising, Ms. Susan Navey-Davis (919.515.9288,https://fll.chass.ncsu.edu/people/faculty_staff/navey, 321 Withers), to complete the final certification. Students will receive official recognition on their transcripts for the completed minor.
Dr. Sujata S. Mody
417 Withers Hall
SIS Code: 16HINDIM
- Completion of at least 15 credit hours.
- 9 Credit hours must be taken at NC State and a maximum of six (6) credit hours may be transferred into the minor from another institution.
- All courses for the minor must be completed with a grade of ‘C-‘ or better.
- Students must demonstrate tested oral and written proficiency in Hindi-Urdu at the FLN 302 Modern Hindi & Urdu Poetry level. This requirement will normally be met by the successful completion of FLN 301 Twentieth Century Hindi & Urdu Fiction and FLN 302 Modern Hindi & Urdu Poetry with a grade of ‘C-‘ or better.
- Students are expected to have mastered either the Hindi or Urdu writing systems, but not necessarily both.
- No more than 6 transfer credits may be applied toward the Minor requirement.
- Credit earned on the NC State Summer in India Study Abroad Program may be counted toward the Minor requirement.
- Courses taken in non-NC State Study Abroad or Summer Language Programs may be counted toward the minor but are subject to the transfer credit limit.
- Prerequisite courses (e.g. FLN 101 Elementary Hindi-Urdu I, FLN 102 Elementary Hindi-Urdu II) will be in addition to the hours required for the minor.
- Hindi-Urdu language drill courses (FLN 103 Elementary Hindi-Urdu I Conversation, FLN 104 Elementary Hindi-Urdu II Conversation, FLN 203 Intermediate Hindi-Urdu I Conversation, FLN 204 Intermediate Hindi-Urdu II Conversation) are in addition to the Minor requirement.
- A maximum of two (2) courses may be used (double-counted) towards both departmental major requirements and minor requirements.
- No courses for the minor may be taken for S/U credit.
Students may declare the minor when they are enrolled in a class that counts toward the minor.
|FLN 301||Twentieth Century Hindi & Urdu Fiction (offered Fall semester)||3|
|FLN 302||Modern Hindi & Urdu Poetry (offered Spring semester)||3|
|Select three of the following:||9|
|Intermediate Hindi-Urdu I 1|
|Intermediate Hindi-Urdu II 1|
|The Hindu Tradition|
|Government and Politics in South Asia|
These courses may not be offered every semester or every year. Check the Schedule of Courses. With the Minor advisor’s approval, additional South Asia-related courses offered as Special Topics in Foreign Languages, World Literature, History, and Religion Studies may be used to fulfill the elective course requirement.