Portuguese Studies (Minor)
To see more about what you will learn in this program, visit the Learning Outcomes website!
Students first download a Minor Declaration Form and consult with their major advisor for approval of the minor program. After the student obtains the major advisor’s signature, he/she meets with the minor advisor to develop a plan of study indicating required courses and expected dates of completion. A copy of the student’s minor plan of study will be kept on file in the Department of Foreign Languages and Literatures.
Paperwork for certification should be completed no later than during the registration period for the student’s final semester at NC State. Students should meet with the Coordinator of Advising, Ms. Susan Navey-Davis (919.515.9288; Website) to complete with the final certification. Students will receive official recognition on their transcripts for the completed minor.
Dr. Irwin Stern
Teaching Associate Professor
Withers Hall 223, Campus Box 8106
SIS Code: 16PORTM
- Completion of 15 credit hours is required.
- 9 Credit hours must be taken at NC State or through the UNC Language Assembly/Portuguese as World Language Consortium.
- In addition to FLP 201 Intermediate Portuguese I (3 credits), two additional Portuguese language or culture courses (6 credits) above the FLP 201 Intermediate Portuguese I level to be listed under the FL 295 Special Topics in Foreign Languages and/or Literatures rubric must be taken through the UNC Language Assembly/Portuguese as a World Language Consortium are required.
- A maximum of six (6) credit hours may be transferred into the minor from another institution. The minor adviser may approve more on a discretionary basis.
- The Department of Foreign Languages and Literature will determine which courses transferred from other institutions may qualify to meet requirements for the minor.
- A grade of ‘C-’ or better is required in all courses in the minor program.
- A maximum of two (2) courses may be used (double-counted) towards both another departmental major requirements and minor requirements.
|FLP 201||Intermediate Portuguese I||3|
|FL 295||Special Topics in Foreign Languages and/or Literatures 1||3|
|FLP 401||Brazilian Portuguese for Spanish Speakers 2||3|
|or FL 295||Special Topics in Foreign Languages and/or Literatures|
|Select two of the following:||6|
|Andean South America|
|Peoples and Cultures of Africa|
|Introduction to the African Diaspora|
|African American Religions|
|Latin America to 1826|
|Latin America Since 1826|
|Introduction to History of West Africa|
|United States-Latin American Relations Since 1823|
|Latin American Revolutions in the Twentieth Century|
|Introduction to International Relations|
|Seminar in Latin American & Caribbean Politics|
2 courses above the FLP 201 Intermediate Portuguese I level through the UNC Language Assembly/Portuguese as a World Language Consortium
1 course above the FLP 201 level through the UNC Language Assembly/Portuguese as a World Language Consortium