Teaching English as a Foreign Language (Minor)
To see more about what you will learn in this program, visit the Learning Outcomes website!
The objective of a minor in Teaching English as a Foreign Language (TEFL) is to enable students to acquire a deeper understanding of English as an international language and formal training in teaching English as a foreign language in various cultural and/or educational contexts.
Jillian S. Haeseler
325 Withers Hall
Effective Date: 1/2019
SIS code: 16TEFLM
- Completion of 15 credit hours is required.
- 9 Credit hours must be taken at NC State and a maximum of six (6) credit hours may be transferred into the minor from another institution.
- The Department of Foreign Languages and Literatures will determine which courses transferred from other institutions may qualify in meeting requirements for the minor, as well as the number of transfer credits permitted to meet program requirements.
- It is required that students complete at least three (3) courses either at NC State or at an NC State sponsored study-abroad program.
- A grade of ‘C-‘ or better is required in all courses in the minor program.
- A maximum of one (1) course may be used (double-counted) towards both departmental major requirements and minor requirements.
- No courses for the minor may be taken for S/U credit.
- Certification - The minor must be completed no later than the semester in which the student expects to graduate from their degree program. Any paperwork required by the minor program for certification should be completed no later than during the registration period for the student's final semester at NC State.
Students may declare the minor when they are enrolled in a class that counts toward the minor.
|FL 424||Linguistics for ESL Professionals||3|
|FL 436||Perspectives on English as a New Language||3|
|FL 427||Methods and Materials in Teaching English as a Second Language||3|
|For Education Majors only: 1|
|FL 440||Internship in Teaching English as a Second Language||3|
|For Non-Education Majors: 2|
|FL 441||Strategies and Curriculum Design in Teaching English as a Foreign Language (TEFL)||3|
|Select one of the following:||3|
|International and Crosscultural Communication|
|Spoken and Written Traditions of American English Dialects|
|History of the English Language|
|Language and Gender|
|Language and Writing|
|Language and Globalization|
|Strategies and Curriculum Design in Teaching English as a Foreign Language (TEFL)|
[FL 440: Internship In Teaching English as a Second Language]
Prerequisite of FL 424, FL 436, and FL 427
[FL 441 Strategies and Curriculum Design in Teaching English as a Foreign Language]
Prerequisite of FL 427