University Catalog 2023-2024


Sometimes students may take some time away from NC State, and that's okay. Any Undergraduate or Agricultural Institute student who has not enrolled in a Fall or Spring semester may apply for readmission to continue their degree program if they wish to continue.


Students are eligible to apply for readmission if you fall into one of the following categories:

  • Former Undergraduate and Agricultural Institute students eligible to return to NC State University
  • Suspended Undergraduate Students (additional action required)
  • Former Undergraduates who obtained a degree and wishes to seek an additional undergraduate degree

Students who desire a change of curriculum can apply through the Change of Degree Application (CODA) upon readmission, except for Leadership in the Public Sector. The Leadership in the Public Sector (LPS) major, housed within the College of Humanities and Social Sciences, is an online degree completion program for students who have been away from NC State University for more than three years. It is not available for transfer via CODA. If you are interested in this program, please review the LPS Program website and contact the program advisor or director before readmitting into your previous major.

Students who have completed their undergraduate degrees and wish to return to pursue an additional degree must complete the application for readmission and complete the Readmission to Additional Degree form.

Suspended Students

Students on Academic Suspension may appeal to the Admissions Committee for readmission. Students will be directed to the appeal upon completing the readmission application above. Appeals will not be reviewed unless all documents are included.

Academically Suspended students who have had a break in enrollment for at least 3 years may appeal for Contractual Readmission. Students who are contractually readmitted will be placed on Academic Warning and must maintain a 2.0 GPA on all coursework attempted after readmission. Failure to do so will result in permanent dismissal from the university.

Students are encouraged to begin the Contractual Readmission process early. Colleges may have additional requirements or deadlines; students should consult with their college and/or academic advisor before starting the contractual readmission application. Visit our website for more information and to download the Contractual Readmission Application Form.

How to Apply

Application dates and deadlines are updated on our website throughout the year.

All students applying for readmission to NC State must pay a non-refundable, $60 Readmission Application Fee.

The Readmission application is available online at our ApplyReadmit portal. Decisions are released on a rolling basis.

Residency Determination

All students applying for undergraduate readmission and requesting in-state tuition are required to complete the North Carolina Residency Determination Service (RDS) prior to completing the Readmission application. You will need your Residency Certification Number (RCN) in order to complete your Readmission application.

Contact Us

Department of Registration and Records