Essentials of Business (Certificate)
To see more about what you will learn in this program, visit the Learning Outcomes website!
This Certificate is designed for the non-business undergraduate student who realizes that an understanding of business is essential for success in the workplace. It recognizes that the student’s regular academic program often does not accommodate additional courses during the Fall or Spring semesters. There are two required 3 unit courses covering business essentials and financial/managerial accounting. The student then selects two 3 unit courses from the following:
- Human Resource Management Marketing Methods
- Operations Management
- Personal Finance
- Uses of Accounting Information
Courses are offered in an online format during Summer sessions. This is to avoid conflict with a possible summer job or other activities. Courses may also be taken during a Fall or Spring semester if space is available.
Director of Curriculum and Academic Programs
Poole College of Management
Nelson Hall 2150
Current NC State undergraduate students must have a minimum of a 2.0 grade point average to be accepted into this program. Non-NC State students must be registered with the university as non-degree seeking (NDS) students – see the NDS website for more information. NDS students will have up to 6 years from the date of the first course taken to complete the certificate program.
The application deadline is 60 days prior to the date of the first course the student wishes to take. Please go to the program website to apply.
Plan of Study
Contact the Program Coordinators.
Term Effective: 2191
Plan Code: 20BECTU
CIP Code: 52.0201
|MIE 201||Introduction to Business Processes|
|ACC 280||Survey of Financial and Managerial Accounting||3|
|Select two of the following:||6|
|Human Resource Management|
|Operations and Supply Chain Management|
|Individual Income Taxation|
- There are no other required examinations, presentations, or external learning experiences.
- A total of 12 semester hours is required; all courses must be taken at NC State.
- Satisfactory completion of the certificate program requires:
- completion of the coursework noted above
- a grade of D-or better in all courses used to satisfy the certificate requirements
- an overall GPA of 2.0 or better for all courses used to satisfy the certificate requirements