Interdisciplinary Entrepreneurship (Certificate)
To see more about what you will learn in this program, visit the Learning Outcomes website!
The Undergraduate Certificate in Interdisciplinary Entrepreneurship has been specifically designed to be applicable and accessible to students in all areas of study at NC State. Students who will find this certificate most engaging will be those students interested in turning ideas into action through starting ventures, working in a startup environment or applying entrepreneurial thinking skills to an existing organization. This certificate differs from the entrepreneurship minors available on campus by giving students a broad overview of the entrepreneurial process from an interdisciplinary perspective. Students will have the opportunity to explore entrepreneurial thinking in the arts, the social entrepreneurship sector, non-profits, for-profits, start-ups, growth ventures, B-Corps, and other areas of interest. Students who complete the Undergraduate Certificate in Interdisciplinary Entrepreneurship will specifically benefit from the interdisciplinary nature of instructors, peers, teams, mentors, materials, activities, opportunities, community partners and alumni.
- To declare your intent to complete the certificate, please fill out and submit the Undergraduate Certificate in Interdisciplinary Entrepreneurship Google Form https://goo.gl/forms/o7rJDWI1CF5gkGRH3. You will receive an email confirmation of your submission, and you should hear from a certificate administrator within a week of your submission.
- Once you have been accepted into the certificate program, a certificate administrator will follow up with you via email to acknowledge receipt of your declaration form and to provide instructions for accessing the Undergraduate Certificate in Interdisciplinary Entrepreneurship website via Moodle.
- As you complete work towards the certificate, fill out and submit the appropriate information via Moodle to track your progress. This will help you establish a robust portfolio of your experiences in the Undergraduate Certificate in Interdisciplinary Entrepreneurship.
- Submit your request to complete the Undergraduate Certificate in Interdisciplinary Entrepreneurship prior to November 15/April 15 of your graduating semester.
- Contact Jennifer Capps at 919-515-4530 with any questions.
Phone: (919) 515-4530
Term Effective: 8/2018
Plan Code: 24EICPTU
CIP Code: 24.0101
Description: Undergraduate Certificate in Interdisciplinary Entrepreneurship
Requirement 1 of 3: Choose 12 credit hours from the interdisciplinary course options below. No more than 2 courses counting towards the Undergraduate Certificate in Interdisciplinary Entrepreneurship may come from the same course prefix. Students will be required to submit work samples from their chosen certificate courses to an online portfolio via the Moodle Certificate Management website. The Moodle site for documenting student completion of certificate requirements is being modeled after the NC State Office of Faculty Development Certificate of Reflective Teaching.
|Select 12 credit hours of the following:||12|
|Exploring Interdisciplinary Entrepreneurial Thinking|
|Interdisciplinary Entrepreneurial Thinking I: Skills and Planning Basics 6|
|Introduction to Arts Entrepreneurship|
|Foundations in Arts Entrepreneurship|
|Practical Arts Entrepreneurship|
|Introduction to Entrepreneurship|
|Business Opportunity Analysis 5|
|Finance and Accounting for Entrepreneurs 5|
|New Venture Planning 5|
|The Legal Dynamics of Entrepreneurship 5|
|Entrepreneurship Practicum 1|
|Entrepreneurship & New Product Development in Textiles 2|
|Engineering Entrepreneurship and New Product Development I 3|
|Engineering Entrepreneurship and New Product Development II 3|
|Introduction to Nonprofits|
|Introduction to Entrepreneurship and New Product Development 4|
MIE 413 New Venture Planning is a suggested co-requisite for Certificate participants
Students must have junior standing in order to enroll in this course; restricted to College of Textiles students in FTM, FTD or TT degree programs
Departmental approval required
Please note that ECE 383 Introduction to Entrepreneurship and New Product Development will be added to the Certificate options once it has received 3 credit hour status. In addition, members of the NC State Entrepreneurship faculty will work with programs, colleges and departments throughout campus to add new entrepreneurship courses that will become part of the certificate options when possible.
MIE 310 Introduction to Entrepreneurship is a prerequisite for this course
EI 201 Exploring Interdisciplinary Entrepreneurial Thinking is a prerequisite for this course
Requirement 2 of 3: Choose at least 1 Intensive Experience from the options below. Please note that Intensive Experiences must be completed after declaring your intent to complete the Certificate in Interdisciplinary Entrepreneurship.
- Complete the Andrews Launch Accelerator program with the NC State Entrepreneurship Clinic
- Complete one semester as a volunteer with the NC State B Corp Clinic in an entrepreneurial environment
- Complete one full year of membership in the Albright Entrepreneurs Village
- Complete at least 15 Entrepreneurship Skills Workshops offered through NC State Entrepreneurship (To ensure that minimum standards for an Intensive Experience are met, acceptable workshops will be designated as approved for Certificate Intensive Experience)
- Complete the Social Innovation Fellows Program
- Additional Intensive Experiences may count towards the Undergraduate Certificate in Interdisciplinary Entrepreneurship. Please contact the Certificate Director for prior approval of independent Intensive Experiences such as internships, additional capstone courses, or other proposed projects including business development as an NC State Entrepreneurs Garage member, participation in the StartingBloc Institute, etc.
- Approved Intensive Experiences may be added to this list as they become available and are approved by members of the NC State Entrepreneurship Faculty Advisory Council.
Requirement 3 of 3: Complete and submit your responses to the required essay questions during your final semester of the Undergraduate Certificate in Interdisciplinary Entrepreneurship.