American Literature (Minor)
To see more about what you will learn in this program, visit the Learning Outcomes website!
The Department of English offers a minor in American literature to N.C. State students, except for English majors in the Literature concentration (16ENGLBA 16ENGLLT). The minor consists of any five courses in American literature, three of which must be at the 300 level or above, and one of which must be at the 400-level. Students may transfer in no more than six hours toward the minor. This minor will focus on the English-language literature of the United States and of the British colonies out of which the United States emerged. No courses for the minor may be taken for S/U credit.
Admissions and Certification of Minor
Students interested in declaring a minor in Technical and Scientific Communication should contact the minor coordinator listed below. The minor must be completed no later than the semester in which the student expects to graduate from his or her degree program.
SIS Code: 16ALM
- 15 hours (5 courses) in American literature
- No more than 6 hours of transfer credit
- 3 courses must be at the 300-level or above
- 1 course must be at the 400-level or above
- An overall GPA of 2.0 in the minor and may count no course grade lower than a ‘C-‘.
- A maximum of TWO (2) courses may be used (double-counted) towards both departmental major requirements and minor requirements.
|Survey of African-American Literature|
|Major American Writers|
|American Literature I|
|American Literature II|
|Special Projects in English (when the topic is in American literature)|
|The American Novel of the 19th Century|
|Major American Author|
|Studies in Nineteenth-Century American Literature|
|American Literature, Twentieth Century and Beyond|
|Honors in English (when the topic is in American literature)|
|Special Topics in English (when the topic is in American literature)|