Creative Writing (Minor)
To see more about what you will learn in this program, visit the Learning Outcomes website!
A minor in Creative Writing is available from the English Department for NC State students, except CRW English majors.
Admissions and Certification of Minor
Students can apply for admission to any university minor program in MyPack Portal. Admission will be based on the student’s academic record, and in most cases no longer requires departmental review. The minor must be completed no later than the semester in which the student expects to graduate from his or her degree program. Students can monitor their progress toward completing the minor by viewing their Minor Degree Audit online, anytime, in MyPack Portal.
Questions regarding unmet course requirements on your Minor Degree Audit (indicated by a red ‘X’) should be directed to the Minor Coordinator, below.
SIS code: 16CWM
- A minimum of 15 hours (5 courses) in creative writing and/or in writing theory.
- Of the five elective courses, no more than 2 may be at the 200 level. At least one must be at the 400 level or above.
- No more than 2 courses (6 hours) of transfer credit.
- Must have an overall GPA of 2.0 in the minor and may count no course grade lower than a ‘C-‘.
- No courses for the minor may be taken for S/U credit.
- A maximum of TWO (2) courses may be used (double-counted) towards both departmental major requirements and minor requirements.
|ENG 281||Introduction to Creative Nonfiction||3|
|ENG 287||Explorations in Creative Writing||3|
|ENG 288||Fiction Writing||3|
|ENG 289||Poetry Writing||3|
|ENG 381||Creative Nonfiction Writing Workshop||3|
|ENG 388||Intermediate Fiction Writing Workshop||3|
|ENG 389||Intermediate Poetry Writing Workshop||3|
|ENG 422||Writing Theory and the Writing Process||3|
|ENG 426||Analyzing Style||3|
|ENG 488||Advanced Fiction Writing Workshop||3|
|ENG 489||Advanced Poetry Writing Workshop||3|
|ENG 430||Advanced Screenwriting||3|
|ENG 499||Special Topics in Creative Writing||3|