To see more about what you will learn in this program, visit the Learning Outcomes website!
The Department of English and the Department of Communication offer a minor in Journalism to N.C. State students, except English majors in the Language, Writing and Rhetoric Concentration (16ENGLBA 16ENGLLWR). The minor will provide coursework in writing and editing news and features for print and non-print media, as well as an introduction to the profession of journalism.
Admissions and Certification
Students interested in declaring a minor in Journalism should contact the minor coordinator listed below. The minor must be completed no later than the semester in which the student expects to graduate from his or her degree program.
101 Tompkins Hall
SIS Code: 16JOM
- Completion of 15 credit hours of coursework at the 200 level or above as listed below.
- No more than two (2) courses (six (6) hours) of transfer credit.
- Must have an overall GPA of 2.0 in the minor and may count no course grade lower than a ‘C-’.
- Four (4) required courses and one (1) elective course.
- A maximum of two (2) courses may be used (double-counted) towards both departmental major requirements and minor requirements.
|ENG 214||Introduction to Editing||3|
|ENG 316||Introduction to News and Article Writing||3|
|ENG 416||Advanced News and Article Writing||3|
|COM 267||Electronic Media Writing: Theory and Practice||3|
|Select one of the following:||3|
|Communication in Political Campaigns|
|Ethical Issues in Communication|
|Editorial and Opinion Writing|
|Advanced Topics in Communication and Race 1|
|Communication and Globalization 1|
|Media and the Family 1|
|Internet and Society 1|
Only open to Communication Majors