Music (Minor): General Studies Track
To see more about what you will learn in this program, visit the Learning Outcomes website!
The Music Minor is a 20-credit hour curriculum designed for undergraduate students who wish to engage in the study of music through one of three curricular tracks:
- General Studies.
Students take four required courses (8 credit hours) in music theory, aural skills, class piano, and Western music history, and an additional 12 credit hours of required courses and electives in their area of specialization.
For all students:
- Students may apply for the Music Minor electronically via the Music Minor Application or in person at the Music Department Office, 203 Price Music Center. Based on their chosen track, students will be assigned the appropriate minor advisor, who will then schedule a meeting to discuss a plan of study and the expectations established for the minor.
- For students in the Performance Track, admission is through a preliminary audition. Upon recommendation, students are assigned an advisor and applied instructor and enroll in MUS 193 Applied Music Lessons I. The jury exam at the end of their first semester of MUS 193 Applied Music Lessons I determines eligibility for continuation in the Performance Track.
- To be admitted to the program, a student must have a GPA of at least 2.0. Application for admission to any University minor program is now available via MyPack Portal. Admission will be based upon the student’s academic record, and in most cases no longer requires departmental review. To apply to Add a Minor, go to: https://go.ncsu.edu/minor_coda.
- During each semester’s registration period, students must schedule an appointment with their minor advisor to have their plan of study reviewed. This should take place before students meet with their Academic Advisor and enroll for the following semester’s courses.
Performance Track Requirements:
- Students preparing to enter their second semester of MUS 193 Applied Music Lessons I must first pass the Music Theory Placement Test or enroll concurrently in MUS 120 Introduction to Music Theory.
- Students who have not taken any of MUS 103 Theory and Musicianship I, MUS 104 Theory and Musicianship Lab I, or MUS 202 Introduction to Music Literature II by the end of their second semester of MUS 193 Applied Music Lessons I must enroll concurrently in one of these courses during their first semester of MUS 293 Applied Music Lessons II.
Composition Track Requirement:
- Students must enroll in MUS 498 Independent Study in Music during the registration period preceding the final semester of the minor. At this time, a Course Agreement contract is completed by the student and the student’s applied composition instructor. The goals and timeline for completing the composition project should be approved by the student’s minor advisor.
The Music Department Head or their designee will certify the Music Minor prior to graduation. The minor must be completed no later than the semester in which the student expects to graduate from his or her degree program. Paperwork for certification should be completed no later than the registration period prior to the student’s final semester at NC State.
Contact Person/Music Minor Advisor
203 Price Music Center
SIS Code: 24MUMLA
- A total of 20 hours is required for the Music Minor.
- A maximum of 6 transfer credit hours may be applied to the Music Minor, as approved by the Music Minor Advisor and Department Head.
- A grade of C- or better is required in each course used toward the minor.
- No course for the minor may be taken for S/U credit.
- For students majoring in Arts Studies-Music, a maximum of one 3-credit course may be used (double-counted) toward both departmental major requirements and minor requirements.
- Certain courses allow for a placement test or audition; students who test out of a course must make up those credits by taking another approved MUS course.
|MUS 103||Theory and Musicianship I||3|
|MUS 104||Theory and Musicianship Lab I||1|
|MUS 107||Class Piano I 1||1|
|or MUS 207||Class Piano II|
|MUS 202||Introduction to Music Literature II||3|
MUS 107 Required for students in the General Studies Track only. MUS 207 Required for students in the Performance Track.
However, Performance students who test out must take MUS 154 Theory and Musicianship Lab II.
General Studies Track
|MUS 200||Understanding Music: Global Perspectives||3|
|Select nine credit hours of the following: 1||9|
Ensemble (up to 3 semesters at 1cr each semester)
|Introduction to Music in Western Society|
|Theory and Musicianship II|
|Theory and Musicianship Lab II|
|Introduction to Music Literature I|
|Class Piano II|
|Introduction to Popular Music: 1950s-1970s|
|Introduction to Popular Music: 1980s-Present|
|Introduction to African-American Music|
|Introduction to the Music Industry|
|History of Jazz|
|Music Composition with Computers|
|Music of the 17th and 18th Centuries|
|Music of the 19th Century|
|Music of the 20th Century|
|Survey of Musical Theater|
|Music of Asia|
|Women In Music|
|Intermediate Songwriting using Digital Audio Workstations|
Two courses must be 3 credit hours each