Wellness and Recreation
About Wellness and Recreation
The Department of Wellness and Recreation is proud to be a leader of wellness at NC State. We value the impact of movement and inspire behaviors that improve health and well-being. Our programs, services and facilities enhance academic success by assisting students in developing skills and resilience needed for college and beyond. We empower the Wolfpack community to thrive through these six elements of wellness: purpose, financial, physical, emotional, social and community.
Programs and Services
- We offer more than 80 FREE group fitness classes each week, designed for every fitness level. There are a variety of formats to choose from, including cycling, cardio, yoga, dance, HIIT, strength, core, TRX® and LesMills BODYPUMP™. We also have virtual in-studio classes provided by LesMills.
- For a more structured, progressive group exercise experience, we offer group training. Our nationally certified coaches lead workshops such as PackStrong, PackFit, advanced yoga and more over multiple weeks to provide more individualized attention to participants. Many classes are hosted in the newly renovated Pack Training Den located on the third floor (3600).
- Our nationally certified personal trainers work with individuals in a one-on-one or partner training setting to establish and reach their performance and fitness goals. We also offer training assessments for students to understand their current fitness level and to track their progress.
- Add some adventure to your schedule with our outdoor trip offerings, including hiking, climbing, backpacking, paddling, cycling and more! Trips are offered at an affordable rate for students, and many include all the tools you need, including gear, food and instruction from our expert trip leaders.
- For those that prefer to adventure on their own, the Outdoor Adventures Equipment Rental Center offers a variety of gear to rent on a daily, weekend or weekly rate, including backpacking essentials, camping gear, bikes, canoes, kayaks and lawn games.
- Reach new heights at one of our exciting challenge experiences:
- The Climbing Center located inside the Wellness and Recreation Center includes a 48-foot tall indoor climbing wall and bouldering cave, and is free for students to use! Climbing and belay clinics are offered throughout the semester for students to learn more about the sport of climbing.
- The Jim Wall High Challenge Course located in Schenck Memorial Forest includes both low and high ropes activities. Bring your group or organization out and let our challenge course facilitators guide you through a series of team building experiences.
- Intramural Sports offers more than 40 different leagues, tournaments and events throughout the year, ranging from team sports like flag football, basketball, soccer and volleyball to unique events like pool battleship, video game tournaments and fantasy football. Create a team with your friends or sign up as a free agent to meet new people!
- For students seeking a more competitive experience, check out one of the Club Sports teams on campus. These student-led organizations practice regularly and compete against other colleges and universities at local, state and national levels.
- All students, regardless of status, are allotted four free individual wellness coaching sessions each semester to work on a variety of personal development topics, including stress management techniques, lifestyle modification tips and more. Our nationally certified coaches also offer drop-in and group coaching opportunities.
- Our ThriveWell team hosts a variety of free wellness challenges each semester to help you make lifestyle changes and start working toward a healthier you.
- The popular Howl and Chill program includes a variety of special events each semester to encourage students to pause and take a break in order to practice self care.
Work with us
- Wellness and Recreation is one of the top employers on campus, with more than 600 students employed annually on our team. Students enhance their development by learning transferable skills that will prepare them for future careers.
Wellness and Recreation Center and Carmichael Gym
The Wellness and Recreation Center and Carmichael Gym is a 430,000-square-foot facility designed to help students achieve their personal wellness, recreation and fitness goals.
- Strength and Conditioning Centers (50,000-square-foot)
- Six Fitness/Activity rooms
- Dedicated Mind-Body studio
- Teaching kitchen
- 11 Indoor Basketball/Multipurpose courts
- 25-yard pool and dive well
- 50-meter pool
- Indoor climbing wall and bouldering cave
- Indoor track
- 11 racquetball courts
- One squash court
- Personal training suite
- Men’s and women’s locker rooms
- Single occupant locker rooms
- Steam room
- Equipment Checkout
- Day-use lockers
- Social lounges
Wellness and Recreation manages numerous outdoor facilities that promote healthy, active living.
- Miller Outdoor Recreation Field
- Method Road Recreation Complex
- 12 outdoor tennis courts
- Four outdoor basketball courts
- FitGround outdoor functional training area
- Centennial Campus Recreation Fields
- Centennial Campus Disc Golf Course