Dance Performance and Choreography (Minor)
The Dance Performance and Choreography Minor is a 17-credit hour curriculum that serves as a training ground for creating, performing, and analyzing dance as an art form. Students gain skills in performance and choreography, participate in artistic experimentation and performance, explore theoretical and aesthetic content, and engage in intellectual discourse. Capstone projects in areas of interest can lay the foundation for future endeavors. Some projects have included:
- Teaching at dance studios
- Choreographing work for various performances
- Creating dance for camera and dance documentary film works
- Interning with nonprofit dance organizations
- Serving as dance captains and rehearsal assistants
For more information about this program, visit our website.
The Department Head or their designee will certify the minor prior to graduation. The minor must be completed no later than the semester in which the student expects to graduate from his or her degree program. Paperwork for certification should be completed no later than the registration period prior to the student’s final semester at NC State.
Amy Beasley, M.F.A
- The dance minor requires the completion of 17 credit hours.
- Students must attain a minimum overall GPA of 2.0 in the minor.
- Students may not take minor coursework on a credit-only (pass/fail) or S/U basis.
- A minimum of 12 of the 17 required credit hours must be completed at NC State.
- Students must obtain a grade of “C-” or better in each of the required and elective courses.
|DAN 120||Movement Improvisation (Pre-requisite for all Composition classes)||2|
|DAN 322||Dance and Society||3|
|6 Hours From:||6|
|Dance Performance in a Global Context|
|African Dance II|
|Social Dance II|
|Hip-hop Dance II|
|Modern Dance II|
|Jazz Dance II|
|Advanced Dance Techniques|
|Modern Dance Performance and Practice|
|Introduction to Laban Movement Analysis and Bartenieff Fundamentals|
|2 Hours From:||2|
|Dance Composition - Solo Forms|
|Dance Composition - Group Forms|
|3 Hours From:||3|
|The Horton Dance Technique and Legacy|
|U.S. Concert Dance History|
|Current Trends in Dance|
|Dance and Technology|
|1 Hour From:||1|
|Dance Concert Composition|