GEP Introduction to Writing
Requirement: (ENG 101)
- A total of four credit hours of English (ENG) 101 are required to fulfill this category.
- Successful completion of ENG 101 requires a grade of C- or better.
- Special Note: If a student changes a General Education course except for HES courses from a letter grade to credit-only (S/U), then the course will not satisfy the GEP requirements. Consult your academic advisor if you have questions.
Writing is a powerful way of understanding ourselves and the world in which we live. It is through writing that the various disciplines and professions define the knowledge and methodologies that characterize them. Mastery of writing and information skills is central to engaging in the productive life of academic and professional communities.
The required course in this category will provide instruction and guidance that help students to:
- Write effectively in specific situations, which may include various academic, professional, or civic situations, and
- Understand and respond appropriately to the critical elements that shape written communication situations, such as audience, purpose, and genre, and
- Demonstrate critical and evaluative thinking skills in locating, analyzing, synthesizing, and using information in written communication.