University Catalog 2023-2024

3.17 Grades

A. General Information

  1. Evaluation of a student’s performance in a particular course or section is the prerogative of the instructor responsible for that course or section. No grade assigned to a student in a particular course or section may be changed without the consent of the faculty member responsible for that course or section unless required by the result of grievnace.
  2. Each faculty member who assigns grades has the responsibility to implement grading procedures that are fair and equitable, and to provide a reasonable evaluation of the student’s performance in the course.
  3. At the beginning of the semester, faculty must include their grading scale and how grades will be determine in each course syllabus.

B. Types of Grading Systems

Performance in 500- and 700-level courses is evaluated on a scale ranging from “A+” through “F”, with a plus/minus designation if selected by the instructor. Performance in most 600- and 800-level courses is evaluated as either “S” (Satisfactory) or “U” (Unsatisfactory); these grades are not used in computing the GPA.

C. Minimum Grade Requirements for Graduate Credit

A course in which a student earns below a C- or a “U” will not be included in the minimum hours required for a given degree. Depending on the course, students may be required to repeat it.

D. Regular Grading Scale and Grade Points

The following grade points are used in the calculation of grade point averages:

Grade Points
A+ 4.333
A 4
A- 3.667
B+ 3.333
B 3
B- 2.667
C+ 2.333
C 2
C- 1.667
D+ 1.333
D 1
D- 0.667
F 0

E. Grade Point Average (GPA)

To determine a student’s GPA, the total number of grade points earned is divided by the number of graded credit hours at the 400 level or higher that are attempted. The cumulative and semester GPAs will include the effect of any A+ grades awarded (at 4.33 grade points) up to a grade point average of 4.000. The grade point average will be calculated to three decimal places.

F. Post-Baccalaureate Studies (PBS)

Up to 12 credits earned in PBS courses with at least a grade of “B” can be officially transferred into a student’s program; these courses are also included in the GPA.

G. Incompletes

The grade of Incomplete (“IN”) may be given in any course at the instructor’s discretion for work not completed because of a serious interruption in the student’s work not caused by their own negligence. An “IN” must not be used, however, as a substitute for an “F” or “U” when the student’s performance in the course is not passing. An “IN” is only appropriate when the student’s record in the course is such that the successful completion of particular assignments, projects, or tests missed as a result of a documented serious event would enable that student to receive at least a C. Only work missed may be completed; no additional assignments can be included.

A student who receives an “IN” must complete the unfinished work by the end of the next semester in which the student is enrolled, provided that this period is no longer than 12 months from the end of the semester or summer session in which the “IN” was received. Otherwise, the “IN” will be automatically converted to “F” or “U,” in accord with the grading option for a particular course. All grades of “IN” must be cleared prior to graduation. Students must not register again for any courses in which they have “IN” grades. Such registration does not remove “IN” grades, and the completion of the course on the second occasion will automatically result in an “F” for the incomplete course.

  • Students whose only remaining requirement for graduation is removal of an “IN” are not required to register in the following semester to complete the work and graduate; however, only one registration-free semester is allowed.

In special cases, the Graduate School may grant an extension of a student’s incomplete grade. Either the online Grade Change system or an Extension of Incomplete Grade form must be submitted.

To discourage excessive and/or unwarranted use of incomplete grades and extensions for an individual student, an extension of an incomplete grade will not be granted by the Graduate School if the student holds incomplete grades in other courses at the time of the request.

H. External Transfer Credit

Except in the case of interinstitutional courses, grades transferred from another institution will not be included in the GPA. See Section 3.1 for more information about transferring graduate credits.

I. Repeating Courses

A graduate student may repeat a course in which a grade of “C-” or lower has been earned. Repeating a course where a grade of “C” or higher has been earned requires the specific recommendation of the advisory committee as well as the approval of the DGP and the Graduate School. Students who repeat a course, regardless of the grade previously earned, will have both grades counted in their GPA. The semester hours will be counted only once toward the required minimum hours.

J. Grade Changes (see Section 5 in NC State REG 02.50.03)

After grades are posted, they are not subject to change based on a change in an instructor’s judgment; nor are submitted grades to be revised on the basis of a second trial (e.g., a new examination or additional work undertaken or completed). Changes must be made within one calendar year after the date final grades were posted to correct an error of computation or transcription or where part of the student’s work has been overlooked.

To change a grade, the instructor submits a grade change accompanied by a justification. This change must be approved by the DGP and Department Head relevant to the course, the appropriate Associate Dean, and the Graduate School. “IN” or “LA” grade changes require only departmental approval.